Home

First Impressions

Question:

I have an interview this coming Monday, and I want to make a really great first impression to carry me through the interview. All input is helpful! Mario

Captain Bob's Reply:

The toughest thing for candidates to do is be enthusiastic, conversational and themselves on purpose. Not a clone of someone else. If you will light yourself on fire with enthusiasm, the oral board will stand up, applaud and watch you burn! Stanford University has done a study that shows that selling yourself or a product only has to do with 15% of your knowledge. The other 85% has to do with your ENTHUSIASM!

How can you be enthusiastic if you're a frozen statue in the chair? You can't. It doesn't take much to make a difference. After seeing "Clone" after "Clone" after "Clone" candidates, someone will walk into the room and BAM, BAM, BAM they set the room on fire! You can do it too! I haven't worked with a candidate yet who couldn't. They just didn't know they could do it. Just minor corrections are usually all that is need to separate them from the "Clone" pack of candidates.

How long do you think you have once you walk into the oral board to hook them into listening to your stuff. Many guess 2, 3 and 6 minutes. You have 32 seconds. That's right. You come in with what's called the "halo" effect.

In that first 32 seconds the board is check your appearance (the strongest nonverbal statement you can make is what you wear), choice of words, inflection, voice, eye contact and body language. If you open with a "Clone" answer, you're dead meat.

There is supposed six other areas in the oral board where you can recover, but don't count on that happening. Once you see the glaze come over the oral boards eyes like a deer caught in the headlights, you've lost them and they won't come back. Trust me. Please open using a signature story about yourself.

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!

"Captain Bob"

Ask "Captain Bob" Any Question

Top of Page

Home

Fire "Captain Bob" Smith has coached countless entry level and promotional candidates to get their badge. He is a retired 28-year Hayward, Ca. Captain, speaker/author of the audio/video program "Conquer the Job Interview," the book "Fire Up Your Communication Skills" ISBN 09657620-6-8 and a member of the prestigious National Speakers Association. You can book him as a speaker or get a copy of his books and tapes by calling toll free at 888-238-3959.

E-mail: captbob@verio.com  Web site: http://www.eatstress.com